Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse is a simple to make vegan dessert that is full of healthy fats from the avocado. Plus, it’s about 100 calories less than egg or cream-based mousses. And did I mention it’s chocolate?
You can have this ready in no time as long as you have really ripe avocados on hand. If they’re the least bit hard, you’ll get lumps or end up over-processing resulting in a gummy texture.
We’ve put this mouse up against traditional ones. While you can certainly tell the difference, even the most skeptical found it delicious. And it’s easy to adjust to suit your taste. Add more maple syrup for additional sweetness; more cocoa for deeper chocolate flavor.
- 2 very ripe avocados halved and pit removed (about 4 ounces of avocado meat)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of water optional
- Scoop out the avocado flesh and place in a food processor or blender. Or, mash manually in a bowl.
- Add cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Process or mash until the mixture is very smooth and the avocado is well blended. It should be brown with no traces of green.
- Give it a taste and adjust if necessary.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Makes 2, ½ cup servings.
- Keep avocados out of the refrigerator to speed up ripening.
- If the water doesn’t give you the consistency you prefer, try nut milks or creams to increase creaminess/smoothness.
- Don’t miss forget that pinch of salt. It really brings out the chocolate and sweet flavors.
- You can also add spices like cinnamon and nutmeg to mix things up.