Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Let’s break down the steps on how to make a ham and asparagus quiche. It’s a delicious and easy quiche for the whole family.
Why is this recipe interesting?
- This recipe can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even snacks.
- This recipe is so creamy, nourishing, and fulfilling. It has an excellent custard texture.
- This recipe is just like a frittata but this one has pie crust which is perfect for big or small families.
- This recipe is easy to make and doesn’t require professional skills.
- You can add a salad on the side for more fiber.
For the Crust:
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter chilled, diced
- ⅓ cup water cold
For the Filling:
- ⅔ cup cream cheese
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 6 oz ham diced
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup scallions sliced
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 8 spears of asparagus trimmed
For the Pie Crust:
- In a mixing bowl, add flour and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add the butter and mix until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add cold water one tablespoon at a time. Mix until it forms a ball.
- Using a cling wrap, wrap the ball and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- After 4 hours, place the ball on a floured surface.
- Roll the dough out to fit a 10-inch pie plate. Place the crust in the pie plate and press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Use a fork to poke the bottom of the crust. Bake for 3 minutes.
For the Filling:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add cream cheese and ½ cup of Parmesan cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds. Mix the cheeses until well combined. Spread this over the par-baked pie crust.
- Then, add the ham cubes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, heavy cream, scallions, and salt. Pour this over the ham.
- Place the asparagus on top. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake for 45-48 minutes until eggs are set.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Substitutions & Shortcuts
- You can use a frozen pie crust if you don’t prefer making your own and if you are in a hurry.
- You can replace all-purpose flour with almond flour if you want it low carb or keto.
- You can use luncheon meat to replace ham if real ham is not available.
- You can add asparagus in the filling if you prefer more vegetables.
- You can customize the fillings by adding different vegetables and meat.
- You can also use pie crust casserole and pie crust plate.
- You can replace the cheese with plant-based cheese (Violife makes great cream cheese & Parmesan) and replace the ham with a plant-based beef crumbles to lower salt and cholesterol. This will still contain milk though, but mixing plant-based proteins in does lighten the load a bit.
Lessons learned while making this dish
- Temperature is important so make sure that the oven is preheated before using it.
- The pie crust slides down during baking so it is best to let the crust sit on the edge of the pie crust plate.
- You have to make sure you poke the bottom of the crust to avoid the bubbles from forming.
- You can bake the quiche longer if you want the crust toasted.
- Always allow 10-15 minutes cooling time before slicing it to set it completely.
- It can be served warmed or at room temperature.
- You can make this ahead of time and just store it inside the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days. To reheat it, just bake it at 300°F until warm.
- To freeze baked quiche, let it cool completely and freeze overnight. Once it is frozen, cover it with aluminum foil and place it inside a storage bag for up to two months. For reheating, do not thaw it. Bake it for 20 minutes or until warmed through.