How Long Does Rotisserie Chicken Last? Does It Spoil?
Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Rotisserie chicken is a cooking method, where the chicken is placed on a spinning rod on or next to the heat source. It is also sometimes referred to as spit-roasting. This method of cooking chicken has become increasingly popular as consumers can buy a whole chicken that can be used for the rest of the week. Rotisserie chicken is practical, economical, and healthy and because it comes pre-cooked it requires only a little more cooking or baking. The rotisserie chicken can be bought as a whole or in pieces and then stored in the fridge for future use. The rotisserie chicken can last in the refrigerator for 3-5 days as long as it is stored properly.
With more and more people looking at healthy ways to eat and meal prepping, the rotisserie chicken has really come into its own. Rotisserie chicken can be cut and set into portions and left in an airtight container and it can last comfortably in the fridge for 3-5 days and still tastes great to eat.
As it combines ease, taste, and health benefits, rotisserie chicken has become very popular, and most grocery stores and supermarkets now sell them. One thing to be aware of when buying rotisserie chicken that you are going to use throughout the week is to check the best-by or sell-by date. Many grocery stores use chicken that is about to expire for rotisserie as this extends their shelf life. So, if it is already close to its expiry date, look for a fresher piece, not because the chicken will spoil but because it won’t be as moist or tasty.
How Long Does the Rotisserie Chicken Last?
- Rotisserie chicken is so popular because it is so easy to make, cook and use. Rotisserie chicken comes pre-cooked and requires minimum further cooking, which mainly consists of popping it in the oven.
- Chicken that has been freshly store-bought will last in the fridge for 3-5 days. It can be cooked or uncooked.
- Rotisserie chicken that has been stored in the freezer will last for 3 months or more.
- Once the frozen rotisserie chicken has been thawed, it will last a further 3-4 days in the fridge.
These dates are just estimates as expiry date and shelf life depend on a number of factors like temperature, storage conditions, the freshness of the chicken, and so on. Rotisserie chicken does not necessarily spoil after the best-by date, but the quality deteriorates significantly. The chicken becomes dry, and its taste and freshness do go down.
|Rotisserie Chicken||3-5 days||3 + months|
How to Store Rotisserie Chicken?
There are a couple of ways to store rotisserie chicken to extend its shelf life and retain taste, flavor, and moistness.
- Whether store-bought or homemade, rotisserie chicken has to be stored in the fridge. It is best to refrigerate it within two hours of making it or bringing it home. After that, it starts deteriorating in quality with a higher risk of spoilage.
- Make sure the chicken has cooled down completely and is not warm when storing it in the refrigerator.
- If you are storing a whole rotisserie chicken, place it in a shallow container with an airtight lid. It can then be placed in the fridge. You do not want to keep the chicken exposed to the elements or fluctuating temperatures as this can cause it to spoil.
- You can also wrap the chicken tightly in foil and store it in the fridge, you have to ensure that it is completely covered, or else the chicken will dry out much sooner.
- If stored and covered properly, the rotisserie chicken will last for about 5 days in the fridge.
- Rotisserie chicken can also be frozen. You can cover it or wrap it in foil or place it in an airtight, freezer-friendly container before storing it in the freezer.
- A better option for freezing the chicken is to cut it into smaller bite-sized portions or strips, take off the bone and then store it. If you are not going to be consuming the whole chicken in one sitting, it is even better to portion the chicken out and then store it, so you need to only thaw and cook what you are going to eat.
- Once you thaw the chicken, it is not recommended to refreeze it as this will affect the taste and texture of the chicken. Once you thaw frozen rotisserie chicken, it can remain in the fridge for another 4 days. After that it starts losing moisture, getting dry and hard, and unappetizing.
- When storing the chicken, be it in the fridge or freezer, use the correct sized storage box or bag. If the storage container is too big, there is more room for air to circulate, making it susceptible to bacteria and decay. That’s why rotisserie chicken needs to be tightly wrapped and secured.
- If you feel your rotisserie chicken is dry either from the fridge or freezer, add some chicken broth to it when reheating. This will help keep the chicken tender and moist.
- If you have leftover rotisserie chicken that needs to be consumed soon, add the rotisserie chicken to soups, broths, sandwiches, or salads.
How to Know if Your Rotisserie Chicken Has Spoiled?
Despite your best efforts, there is a good chance your chicken is going to spoil. Sometimes it spoils due to temperature, sometimes due to bad storage. Here are a few things to look out for if you suspect your chicken might have spoiled:
- The smell is going to be the first thing you notice, if there is a very obvious sour smell or something smells off, your chicken has decayed. Do not consume chicken that has become rotten as it will cause you a number of health and digestive issues.
- If the rotisserie chicken has shriveled up and completely dried out, do not eat it. It means the chicken is old, even if it has not necessarily spoiled it has definitely started to decay.
- Sometimes the chicken will have an oily, sticky texture, which is another indication that the rotisserie chicken has expired. Again, throw it out immediately.
- If the rotisserie chicken is not past its expiry date, but you are still not sure if it’s good to eat, you can take a small bite to make sure, this should not make you sick. If the chicken tastes sour or bitter, it has spoiled.
Rotisserie chicken is easily available, versatile, delicious, and easy to cook, and it is no surprise that thousands of people eat it on a daily basis. If you are one of them, take a few precautions so that you can continue eating your favorite chicken for a longer time while maintaining taste and quality.
Get Foodie Deals
We collect great foodie-focused deals from across the web daily. Get yourself or your favorite foodie a great deal at big name stores.