Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Peppers are a versatile ingredient that features in many Mexican as well as Tex-Mex recipes. They’re especially popular in fajitas. This Mexican chicken stuffed peppers recipe combines a delicious chicken filling with bell peppers.
Use any color of peppers you prefer, from the sweet yellow ones to the green ones at the other end of the flavor spectrum. Red or orange peppers are also fine. You might even like to use poblanos instead, another mild-tasting option.
This is a great recipe for leftover chicken since all you need to do is shred it and then mix with the other filling ingredients to prepare the filling. Perhaps you have leftover cooked pork or beef, in which case those would also be delicious in a Mexican stuffed peppers recipe.
How to Shred Chicken
There are different ways to shred chicken and you can also buy it ready shredded. Pull it apart using your fingers or a pair of forks if you prefer. This method works for any pieces of chicken such as thighs or breasts.
Another method is putting it in a bowl and using an electric mixer on a low speed. Do keep the speed low unless you want bits of chicken flying all over the kitchen!
- 3 bell peppers
- 10 ounces enchilada sauce
- ½ cup black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 4 ounces diced green chilies canned or fresh
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup chicken broth or water
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- All ingredients ready? Let's begin!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Discard the stems from the bell peppers, cut them lengthwise in half and remove the seeds and membranes.
- Stir the chicken with the chilies, enchilada sauce, cilantro, beans, cumin, corn, garlic powder, salt, and chili powder.
- Mix in half of the cheese.
- Grease a large baking dish then pour in the broth or water.
- Divide the chicken mixture between the bell pepper halves.
- Arrange them in the baking dish and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Discard the foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
- Serve hot.
- Tasty toppings for Mexican chicken stuffed peppers include avocado, sour cream and diced fresh tomatoes.
- Swap the black beans for kidney beans if you like.
- Feel free to adjust the spice level by using less or more chili powder and canned green chilies in the filling. You could even omit these ingredients for a mild result.
Mexican chicken stuffed peppers are quick and easy to rustle up and they make a great dinner for a busy weeknight. They’re also a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken.