Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g chicken breast cut into julienne
- ¼ onion medium diced
- ⅓ cup pepper cut into julienne
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup basmati rice
- ½ cup passata
- 1 cup water
- Heat the olive oil in a shallow pot or pan. Add the chicken breasts to the pot and saute until all the sides of the chicken strips’ color change.
- Add the onion and pepper to the pot, saute for a few minutes, then add the spices and mix them well.
- When the onion and peppers are half tender, add the basmati rice and saute them together.
- Continue to saute for about 4 minutes, then add the passata and water to the pan, close the lid and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook until the rice absorbs all the liquid, and turn off the heat.
- Serve after resting for about 10 minutes.
Tips, Notes, and Substitutes:
When it comes to quick and easy weeknight dinners, one-pan chicken fajita rice is hard to beat. Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect one-pan chicken fajita rice:
- A good quality skillet will help ensure that your chicken and vegetables cook evenly.
- If you don’t have chicken breasts on hand, you can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- If you want to add some spiciness to this dish, you can add some diced jalapeños or red pepper flakes.
- If you’re short on time, you can use pre-cooked rice to make this dish more accessible. If you use pre-cooked rice, don’t forget to discard the water in the recipe.
- Feel free to add other veggies to the mix, carrots, corn, etc.
- You can substitute the rice with brown rice.
- There is no need to stir after adding the water; leaving it to cook on low heat will prevent the rice from becoming mushy.