Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
A pizza sandwich is a convenient and satisfying snack that can be assembled in a short amount of time using bread, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, vegetables, and other spices and herbs.
You may serve them for brunch, lunch, or even as a fun snack for the kids after school if you make them yourself. Use whole meal bread or whole grain bread for a choice that is better for your health.
- Tomato paste
- Olive oil
- Dried oregano
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- 1 ciabatta bread whole-wheat or plain flour
- 4 tbsp homemade pizza sauce or store-bought pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ medium tomato sliced
- 6-8 slices of pepperoni
- 8 leaves of arugula
- 2 sprigs of basil only leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- Mix all the pizza sauce ingredients in a bowl until it’s homogeneous then set aside.
- Slice the ciabatta in half lengthwise. You will get 2 pieces of pizza base.
- Spread the pizza sauce on each half of the bread, then sprinkle the shredded mozzarella on top.
- Place the tomatoes first and then the pepperoni on only one side of the bread.
- Transfer the breads into the baking tray lined with waxed paper. Bake until the mozzarella cheeses completely melted for about 8 minutes at 190°C/375°F preheated oven.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven, place the arugula and basil on the half of the bread with pepperoni and tomato, then cover the other half of the bread on top of the greens. Serve warm.
Tips, Notes & Substitutes
- As for the toppings, feel free to get creative. The classic combination of tomato sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni is always a winner, but you can also add other toppings like onions, bacon or even cooked chicken.
- There are a few considerations to make when constructing a pizza sandwich. Use high-quality bread that will withstand the toppings and avoid becoming soggy. You can use any kind of pizza sauce you desire, but don’t use too much or the sandwich will get very soggy.
- Last but not least, you can truly use any toppings you like as long as you don’t overdo it or the sandwich would be tough to eat.
- Additionally, feta cheese works great in this dish as a cheese alternative.