Homemade Potato Patties with Cheese
Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
These potato patties with cheese, or tortitas de papa con queso in Spanish, are such a delicious snack idea. They are a type of fritter which can be served with corn tortillas and perhaps some pico de gallo or a side salad.
Although panela and queso fresco are the most typical choices when making Mexican potato patties, mozzarella and Chihuahua cheeses are also really good. They will soften the patties a bit though and make them trickier to flip, so consider using some of each perhaps.
Great Way To Use Leftover Mashed Potatoes
If you have leftover mashed potatoes, you will find this recipe to be especially quick and easy, since you just have to mix the mashed potatoes with the other ingredients and fry. If the potatoes are already seasoned simply omit the salt and black pepper from the recipe.
You will need 4 cups of mashed potatoes to make this recipe. Leftover mashed potatoes that already have butter or milk added will make the tortitas consistency a little looser so you might find you need to add more breadcrumbs to stop them from breaking up.
Perhaps you want to change the recipe a little, in which case you might want to swap half the potatoes for carrots, cauliflower or rutabaga for a different flavor in the finished Mexican potato fritters.
- 2 pounds yellow potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- All ingredients ready? Let's begin!
- Peel and rinse the potatoes then roughly chop them.
- Put them in a pot and add water to cover.
- Boil the potatoes until tender.
- Drain them and mash until there are no big lumps.
- Mix the cheese, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper with the potatoes.
- Shape the mixture into discs measuring roughly 3-inches wide by ¾-inch thick.
- Heat ¼ inch of oil in a skillet then cook several patties at a time.
- Flip them over after 2 or 3 minutes and repeat on the other side.
- Drain the patties on paper towels and repeat with the next batch until they’re all cooked.
- Serve hot with corn tortillas and a simple salad on the side.
- Add half a pound of chopped ham to the patty mixture if you want to add a meaty element.
- Use canola oil, vegetable oil or any neutral-tasting oil with a high smoke point for pan-frying.
- Use a wide spatula and fork to flip the patties so they don’t fall apart.
- These potato patties will keep for 5 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator and can be warmed back up on the stove or in the microwave.
Potato patties with cheese make a really satisfying snack. They’re easy to prepare, since you simply have to combine mashed potatoes with a few other ingredients and they’re quick to cook on the stove.
Get Foodie Deals
We collect great foodie-focused deals from across the web daily. Get yourself or your favorite foodie a great deal at big name stores.