Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Birria de res is perfect with melted cheese as the rich flavor of the spices and herbs are married perfectly together by cheese. Let’s learn how to make this rich, flavorful taco.
For The Birria De Res:
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 cups water
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ clove
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- ½ tbsp beef bouillon powder
- 1 laurel leaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For The Tacos:
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ white onion chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime quartered
- Before you begin, assemble your ingredients.
For the Birria De Res:
- First roast the peppers for 2-3 minutes and transfer them into a bowl. Add ½ cup of hot water and let it soak for 5 minutes. Remove the seeds of the peppers. Reserve the water.
- Add peppers, garlic, oregano, thyme, clove, cinnamon, and beef bouillon powder in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is smooth.
- Using a slow cooked, add olive oil once it’s hot. Sear the beef slices and add the pepper mixture into the slow cooker. Add water if needed. Slow cook it for 4 hours.
- Once 4 hours is done, shred the beef using two forks.
- Serve it with onions, cilantro and lime wedges.
For Assembling The Tacos:
- Heat a large skillet and fry the tortilla using birria fat.
- Sprinkle cheese over the tortilla and cover the edges of it.
- Add shredded beef over half of each tortilla. As tortilla cooks and cheese melts, fold the tortilla slowly and gently press them down. Carefully flip the taco until crisp.
Notes & Tips
- A slow cooker is the best tool for this recipe.
- Also having a blender to mix the pepper sauce and break down the cinnamon stick will make your life easier, or just use cinnamon powder.
- You can use other kinds of tortilla wrap like regular tortilla or whole grain tortilla if corn tortilla is not available.
- Ready to eat Birria De Res or shredded beef/pork can be bought in some grocery stores which can save you time on this recipe.
- You can use other cheese if you prefer like plain cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, or really any quick melt cheese.