Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Why is this recipe interesting?
Lemon pickle is a very healthy treat. Just a small amount can help you improve your blood flow, or add it to your diet as a healthy component.
Fermented foods, including this lovely lemon pickle recipe, are known to be beneficial to your health and making you smile with joy after eating them.
- 2 large meyer lemons
- 6 limes juice
- 1 small piece of ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 200 grams sugar
- Rinse the lemons well under cold water.
- Let them dry then cut each lemon in half then each half into thirds.
- In a bowl squeeze the limes. Keep the juice aside.
- In a small saucepan heat the juice, sugar and vinegar until dissolved.
- Simmer gently until you get a syrupy consistency.
- In another bowl, combine chili powder, salt und ginger.
- Layer the lemons into the jar and sprinkle with the sugar-salt mixture.
- Pour the liquid over the lemons into the jar and close tightly.
- Store the jars in a warm place for a month!
Lessons learned while cooking this recipe
While doing this recipe I have learned to be patient waiting for the results.
The pickling process takes a long time, but the joy is even higher when the time has come to open that jar with the pickled lemons.
Substitutions for Sweet & Sour Canned Lemon Pickle
Instead of chili powder you can also use cayenne pepper or paprika.
You may substitute limes for lemons for this recipe or use both at the same time.