Best Turkish Anchovy
Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
- 600 g fresh anchovy
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp sunflower oil
- Arugula leaves
- Lemon wedges
- Red onion sliced
- Clean, wash and drain the anchovies. Mix the cornmeal and salt in a large bowl. Coat the anchovies with cornmeal. Set aside.
- Pour the 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil into the shallow pan. Place the anchovies closely, with their tails pointing in the direction of the center of the pan, side by side.
- Cook the anchovies on high heat for 8 minutes. Cover the pan with a flat plate once the first side has turned golden brown, and flip it over while holding the plate. Add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil to the pan and slide the anchovies back into the pan.
- After cooking this side for 7 minutes, transfer it to a serving plate.
- Continue the cooking process until all of the anchovies are cooked. Serve with lemon wedges, sliced red onions, and arugula leaves.
Tips, Notes & Substitutes:
Turkish Anchovy, also known as Hamsi Tava in the Turkish language, is a traditional Turkish dish made with fresh anchovy. The fish is pan-fried and served with various greens and vegetables, like arugula, parsley, and onions. Here are some tips for making Turkish Anchovy at home quickly.
- You can arrange it so that the middle or the edge of the pan is empty; the important thing is that the anchovies are lined up tightly together.
- For your safety, pour the extra oil into a separate bowl before turning the anchovies over.
- If you like the fish to be more crispy, you can cook each side for an additional 3 minutes.
- Make sure the anchovies are thoroughly rinsed and drained. If you think it is not draining well, use a paper towel to remove excess water. Otherwise, it can form a muddy layer when combined with cornmeal, preventing it from becoming a crunchy anchovy.
Get Foodie Deals
We collect great foodie-focused deals from across the web daily. Get yourself or your favorite foodie a great deal at big name stores.