- 3 pounds kohlrabi prepared as described in the notes above (green
- 1 tablespoon table salt because the pickling process is so quick, don't be concerned about the iodine discoloring the kohlrabi
- 1-2 dried hot chiles crushed
- 1 and a half-inch piece of ginger peeled and roughly chopped (you can Julianne or neatly slice the ginger if you plan on serving the ginger along with the pickled kohlrabi)
- 5 large garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons sugar taste the raw kohlrabi, and adjust the amount of sugar according to its sweetness
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries lightly crushed
- peel of one organic lemon cut into long strips (even organic lemons can have wax on their skin, so give the lemon a good scrub before using)
- 2 cups rice vinegar you can use apple cider or white vinegar as an alternative
- 2 cups water filtered or bottled
In a large mixing bowl, use your hands to coat the kohlrabi slices with salt. If you are using other vegetables, throw them into the bowl as well. The salt helps draw out some of the liquid from the vegetables and is a crucial step, so take your time.
Transfer the salted vegetables to a colander in your sink. Let the vegetables drain for about an hour or until there is no more liquid dripping. Give the vegetables a few tosses every 15 minutes or so.
Shake the colander to get rid of any trapped water, and layer the kohlrabi slices in quart jars. Sprinkle some crushed red chili pepper between each layer. Make sure the layered kohlrabi slices are about an inch below the mouth of the jar.
Add the water, vinegar, ginger, garlic, allspice, and lemon peel to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
After reaching a boil, remove the pickling mixture from heat and carefully pour over the sliced kohlrabi in the jars. Divide the ginger, garlic, and lemon peel evenly amongst the jars. Make sure to cover everything with the pickling liquid. If you have pickling weights, use them to keep everything below the surface.
Once the liquid is cool, cover with a clean lid and put in the fridge. You can start enjoying your Quick Kohlrabi Pickles after three days, and they will stay fresh for up to a month in the refrigerator.
Calories: 709kcal | Carbohydrates: 148g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 7296mg | Potassium: 5082mg | Fiber: 52g | Sugar: 86g | Vitamin A: 957IU | Vitamin C: 916mg | Calcium: 457mg | Iron: 7mg