- 12 green mussels on the half shell
- 1/4 cup Japanese mayonnaise see shopping notes
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese or a cheese substitute
- 1/8 teaspoon masago see shopping notes per mussel
- 1 pinch scallions and red pepper flakes for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
Wash the mussels and pat them dry with a paper towel.
Add the mayonnaise, sugar, sriracha, and parmesan cheese (or cheese substitute) to a bowl and stir until well combined. Add more mayonnaise and sriracha if desired.
Place the mussels in evenly spaced rows on a baking sheet. Distribute the sauce on top of the mussels (each mussel should be completely covered in sauce) and add more parmesan cheese (or cheese substitute) on top.
Bake the mussels for about 18-20 minutes until their edges are brown and caramelized.
Carefully remove from the oven, taking care to not let the juices fall off.
Transfer the mussels to a serving plate and place a little masago on each mussel. Garnish them with scallions and Japanese pepper flakes.
Serve immediately, enjoY!
Calories: 129kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 254mg | Potassium: 87mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 72IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg