Moussaka is like meaty lasagna and it’s just as comforting. This is a great alternative for a gluten-free lasagna. It is very healthy and full of fiber. The crispy and creamy topping that makes this recipe a winner is the result of combining Greek yogurt, egg, and parmesan cheese. Let’s learn how to make this recipe.
- 2 eggplants peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 bunch of kale ribs remove and chopped
- 14 oz tomatoes canned
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ lb ground lamb
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Assemble ingredients together.
- Sprinkle salt over the eggplant slices and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then, rinse them thoroughly and drain well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Fry the eggplant slices until soft and light brown in color. Set aside and drain using paper towels.
- Using a hot pot, boil the kale and puree it together with tomatoes using a blender or food processor.
- Using the same pan where you fry the eggplant. Heat the pan again and sauté onions and garlic until fragrant. Now, add meat and allspice. Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Then, add the tomato-kale mixture and bring the sauce to simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and black pepper.
- In a bowl, mix yogurt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Using a baking casserole dish, layer and assemble the recipe: eggplant, meat-tomato, eggplant, yogurt, and parmesan cheese. Bake it for 45 minutes or until the top sets and the cheese has melted.
- Let it rest for 20 minutes before slicing it.
Notes & Tips
- Always drain the eggplants or the dish will be soggy and wet.
- Let the primal moussaka rest before slicing it and serving so it can firm up
- You can add more cheese, always.
- You can use zucchini or other vegetables if you don’t have eggplant handy.
- You can also use other leafy greens like spinach, instead of kale.
- If lamb is not available in your grocery store, try using ground beef, chicken, turkey or pork.
- If you want dairy-free option, replace yogurt with coconut yogurt and also use dairy-free cheese.
- With dairy-free substitutes in mind, increase the amount of eggplant or add mushrooms to replace the meat to make it entirely vegan.