Looking to switch it up for a pasta night? New Orleans Mac and Cheese a super creamy and cheesy dish to try. The authentic New Orleans version of Mac and Cheese uses spaghetti and is loaded with flavorful indulgence at every step of this recipe. Let’s learn how to make it.
- 8 oz spaghetti or any pasta of your choice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 500 ml half and half
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup pepper Jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Assemble your ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Cook until they are golden brown in color, about 30 seconds.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine well.
- Add half and half gradually, whisking 30-60 seconds, between each addition. Do this until the sauce has thickened.
- Now, stir in heavy cream until the sauce is smooth. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Lower the heat to low and whisk half of the cheeses until they are melted. Remove the pan from heat.
- Place the spaghetti into the sauce made and stir until the pasta is fully coated with sauce.
- Top it with remaining cheeses and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Notes & Tips
- You can keep it frozen for up to 3 months.
- Wash and drain the pasta well to avoid them being sticky with each other. You can also add a little olive oil if it gets sticky.
- When you make this recipe, make sure you combine the pasta with sauce so that it will prevent the pasta from drying and burning.
- While making the sauce, make sure you whisk constantly to create that lovely roux flavor.
- You can use any other pasta available in your kitchen if you aren’t going for the authentic look.
- It is best served with garlic bread for maximum carbs and flavor.