There is nothing better than a cheesy gooey quesadilla. And with a little ground turkey you can have less calories and fat than beef without sacrificing flavor. Let’s learn how to make this Mexican inspired savory treat.
- ½ onion chopped
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 small red pepper diced
- ½ cup black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup corn rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp Taco seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- 4 to rtilla wraps
- 2 tbsp olive oil for greasing the pan
- Assemble all your ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Over medium heat, heat a pan and add olive oil. Add and sauté onions until softened.
- Add and cook ground turkey for 10 minutes. Break it using spatula while it cooks.
- Add red pepper, beans, corn, Taco seasoning, and chili powder. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Now, stir in tomato paste and broth and cook for another minute.
- On top of a plate, lay the tortilla and then top half of the tortilla with half of the cheese. Add the turkey mixture and then top it again with cheese. Fold over the tortilla.
- Over medium heat, heat a pan and grease it with olive oil. Cook each side of the tortilla for 2 minutes. Flip it until crispy and cut into two. Serve it with your favorite dip.
Notes & Tips
- For your cheese, any cheese will do. However, it’s best to grate it if you want it to melt evenly and ideally pick a softer cheese that will melt easier.
- If you aren’t into hot food, nix the spices and you’ll be good to go. Maybe replace it with a bit of honey if that is your jam.
- If you want to make this vegetarian friendly, replace the ground turkey with sauteed mushrooms with a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Need more fiber? Don’t we all! Toss in more veggies into the mix but be sure to cut thinly to avoid broken quesadillas.