Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
This is a quick and easy weeknight dinner. The honey, mustard, garlic, and balsamic vinegar add plenty of flavor, while the asparagus and cherry tomatoes complement the chicken and add pops of color to the dish.
The whole dish is made in a skillet on the stove and the key to only having to use one pan is to cook the ingredients in stages.
The first stage in this one pan balsamic chicken and asparagus dish is to cook the chicken. Remove it and cook the vegetables, then finally combine all ingredients in the skillet.
It’s a recipe which smells incredible during cooking and definitely one to add to your regular meal rotation.
Tweaks & Variations
Feel free to switch the asparagus for another vegetable, such as bell peppers, mushrooms or green beans. You could use a combination of veggies if you prefer. Just remember to cook the denser ones for a few minutes before adding the softer ones, since vegetable cooking times vary.
The one pan balsamic chicken and asparagus can be served as it is, but it’s especially good served over mashed potatoes or white rice. Fries would be another tasty option.
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- All ingredients ready? Let's begin!
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of the oil with the balsamic vinegar, mustard, honey, red pepper flakes if using, and garlic.
- Heat the rest of the oil in skillet.
- Add the chicken tenders and some salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Meanwhile, snap the woody ends off the asparagus and discard them.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Add the asparagus and tomatoes to the skillet with some more salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes then push the vegetables to one side.
- Put the chicken back in the pan and add the balsamic vinegar mixture.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thicker and the chicken is cooked through.
- Either buy chicken tenders which are already cut to size or chop your own chicken breasts into strips to make your own chicken tenders.
- The chicken is done when there is no pink left in the middle, so cut into one piece to check before serving.
- Leftovers will be fine in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and can be reheated in the microwave.
One pan dishes are ideal for busy weeknights. This one pan balsamic chicken and asparagus is easy to make and one of the tastiest chicken dinner ideas.