Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
- 200 g baklava yufka sheets or phyllo dough
- 150 g clarified butter
- 1 cup pistachio chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Ground pistachio for serving
- Cut the Baklava Yufka sheets into the tray size you will use. Cover the Baklava Yufka sheets with a wet towel to give them just a little humidity. Set aside.
- Grease the baking tray with melted butter. Then place one of the baklava sheets into the tray. Drizzle the melted butter on it. Place another baklava sheet on it. Repeat the process to get 13-15 layers.
- Sprinkle the chopped pistachio on mid-layer. Then cover the mid layer with a baklava sheet, and drizzle the melted butter on it. Repeat the process until you reach 13-15 layers after the middle layer.
- Cut the baklava into 4 cm/1.5 inches squares. Press lightly with your fingers on top from the corners of each square so a slight dome shape forms on top.
- Pour the remaining butter on it. Rest for about 20 mins before baking.
- Bake the baklava in a preheated oven at 170°C/340°F for about 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Start preparing the sherbet halfway through the baklava is baking. To make sherbet, put the sugar, water, and a few drops of lemon juice in the small pot on medium heat. Let it boil for about 5 minutes after it reaches the boiling point. Pour the hot sherbet over the hot baklava. Rest it for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve the baklava with ground pistachios on top.
Tips, Notes & Substitutes:
Baklava is a delicious Turkish dessert made by layering phyllo dough, nuts, and syrup.
Here are some tips and tricks to create the perfect baklava:
- Make sure to thaw the phyllo dough overnight in the refrigerator. This will help prevent it from tearing when working with it.
- You can put any nuts in it; it’s entirely up to your taste, and you can mix a few of them if you want.
- When ready to assemble the baklava, have all your ingredients prepped. This includes chopping the nuts, moistening the phyllo dough, and melting the butter.
- If you feel that the phyllo dough is very dry, you can moisten them with the help of water you put in a spray bottle.
- To prevent the phyllo dough from drying out, work with one sheet at a time and keep the rest covered with a wet towel.
- When layering the phyllo dough, brush each sheet with melted butter before adding the next one.
- Be sure to evenly distribute the nuts and butter as you assemble the baklava.
- Once you have assembled the baklava, cut it into pieces before baking. This will make it easier to serve later on.
- Allow the baklava to cool completely before serving. This will give the syrup time to soak into the layers.
- You can serve the baklava with a dollop of clotted cream or ice cream. Enjoy!