Easy Crispy Sour Cream and Onion Chicken
Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
There is nothing better than a sour cream and onion dip. Turning it into a chicken dinner is even better.
This delicious main course wraps boneless chicken breasts in a crunchy, crispy coating. The chicken is marinated in a sour cream mixture to tenderize the meat and add the flavor of everyone’s favorite dip. Panko adds the crunch. We’ve included a sour cream sauce to serve on the side.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts halved and pounded 1/8 inch thick.
- 120 grams sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 250 grams panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp onion powder
Sour Cream Sauce
- 50 grams sour cream
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- salt and pepper
- In a large dish, combine the sour cream with the lemon juice and the chicken.
- Coat them in the marinade and rest for at least 1 hour.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together the panko crumbs and the onion powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat the marinated chicken with the bread crumbs and place on a sheet pan.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until golden brown – about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel or rack.
- For the sour cream sauce, combine all ingredients and taste with salt and pepper
- Serve the chicken cutlets together with the sour cream sauce and lemon wedges.
Notes & Tips
- You can marinate the chicken for up to one night in advance before frying.
- Use a meat thermometer to know when your chicken is done and avoid overcooking.
- Boneless chicken thighs make a great substitute for chicken breasts. Their greater fat content makes them less likely to dry out during cooking.
- No panko? Use plain bread crumbs, crushed cornflakes or crushed fried onions instead.
- To make as an appetizer, cut the chicken into strips before marinating and frying. They’ll be ready quicker, too.
Get Foodie Deals
We collect great foodie-focused deals from across the web daily. Get yourself or your favorite foodie a great deal at big name stores.