Bánh Tráng Trộn – or Vietnamese Rice Paper Salad – is a popular street food in Vietnam. Usually served in a paper bag with a set of chopsticks, this tasty salad started out as a way to make use of leftovers including broken pieces of rice paper, a staple in many Vietnamese dishes.
Our recipe has a long list of ingredients but you can add or subtract depending your spice preferences or what you have on hand. The one thing you’ll absolutely need is the rice paper which soaks up the sauces, spices and oils to add a tasty kick.
- 250 grams lean beef
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 red shallot sliced
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar or honey
- 4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp five spice
- 50 grams dried proteins shredded beef jerky shredded squid, dehydrated field shrimp
- 100 ml cooking oil
- 5 egg hard boiled
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp green onion chopped
- 5 sheets rice paper cut into strips
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp hot chili oil
- 1/2 green mango julienned
- 1 tbsp crushed peanuts
- 1 tbsp fried shallots
- Cut the beef into thin strips (5mm or smaller) then marinate with shallots, garlic, oyster sauce, honey, paprika powder, turmeric and five spices for 20 minutes.
- Finely chop the dried proteins and set aside.
- Add cooking oil to a wok and fry the beef on high heat for 5 minutes until cooked and crispy. This is prone to becoming charred so be careful, it's okay to take off if they aren't fully crispy.
- Cut the boiled eggs into 8 pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add salt, green onions to the bowl and mix well.
- Season the rice paper with the juice of 1 lime, sprinkle of sugar, and hot chili oil.
- Mix until all of the rice paper is seasoned well.
- Add the green mango, dried proteins, crushed peanuts, fried shallot to the bowl and toss together.
- Serve the salad in the bowl for sharing or on individual plates.