Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Looking for a delicious and unique spin on a classic favorite? Look no further than this scrumptious Chilean twist on the humble hotdog. The Completo hails from the beautiful country of Chile, where it is considered a culinary staple and the ultimate comfort food. It takes our beloved hotdog and elevates it to new heights by adding sauerkraut, avocado, and a generous dollop of mayonnaise, creating a mouthwatering explosion of flavors and textures that will leave you wondering how you ever settled for ketchup and mustard. With each bite, you’ll be transported to the bustling streets of Santiago, where Completos are sold on nearly every corner.
Not only will this recipe delight your taste buds, but it will also serve as a culinary conversation starter at your next barbecue or gathering. As you watch your friends and family marvel at the unexpected combination of ingredients, you’ll be armed with intriguing tidbits about Chile’s dynamic food culture and the fascinating science behind why these flavors work so harmoniously together (hint: it’s all about that perfect balance of tang, creaminess, and crunch). So why not embrace your inner adventurous foodie and give this delectable Chilean Hotdog a try? You just might find yourself with a new go-to recipe that will have everyone begging for seconds. Dive into the next section, and let’s get cooking!
Yield & Servings
4 Chilean Hotdogs (Completo)
4 hot dog buns
4 hot dog sausages
1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup diced tomatoes
½ cup sauerkraut, drained
¼ cup diced onions
Salt and pepper, to taste
Notable Equipment & Tools
Grill or stovetop pan
Fork or potato masher
Step 1: Gather and Prep Your Ingredients
All ingredients ready? Let’s begin!
Step 2: Preheat Grill or Pan to Medium Heat
Preheat your grill or stovetop pan to medium heat.
Step 3: Prepare Avocado Mayo Spread
In a mixing bowl, mash the avocado until smooth. Add mayonnaise, salt, and pepper, then mix until well combined. Set aside.
Step 4: Grill Hot Dog Sausages
Grill the hot dog sausages for about 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally until they are cooked through and have grill marks.
Step 5: Warm Hot Dog Buns
While the sausages are grilling, warm the hot dog buns on the grill or in the oven for about 2-3 minutes, until slightly toasted.
Step 6: Spread avocado mixture on hot dog bun
To assemble the Chilean Hotdogs, spread a generous amount of avocado mixture on the inside of each hot dog bun.
Step 7: Assemble Hot Dogs with Toppings
Place a grilled sausage in each bun, and then top with sauerkraut, diced tomatoes, and diced onions.
Step 8: Enjoy your Easy Chilean Hotdogs
Serve immediately and enjoy your delicious Completo!
Substitutions & Alternatives
Fear not, culinary adventurers! If you’re missing an ingredient or two, or just want to put your own twist on the classic Completo, we’ve got you covered. Here are some easy and delicious substitutions and alternatives to ensure your Chilean Hotdog journey is a tasty success.
- Hot dog buns: No buns? No problem! You can swap them out for sandwich bread, tortillas, or even lettuce wraps for a lighter option. Remember, it’s what’s on the inside that counts!
- Hot dog sausages: If you’re not a fan of traditional hot dogs, feel free to substitute with chicken, turkey, or veggie sausages. After all, variety is the spice of life, and the protein of your choice will still taste fantastic with those scrumptious toppings.
- Avocado: In the unlikely event you’re out of avocado (or if you’re allergic, heaven forbid!), you can use guacamole or even hummus as a base for the mayonnaise mixture. We know it’s not quite the same, but hey, it’s always good to think outside the bun!
- Mayonnaise: For a healthier alternative, you can replace mayonnaise with Greek yogurt. This creamy substitute will still give you that smooth, rich texture, while cutting down on calories and adding a little extra protein.
- Tomatoes: If you’re not a fan of raw tomatoes, you can substitute with salsa, pico de gallo, or even sun-dried tomatoes for a more intense flavor. Go ahead, spice up your life!
- Sauerkraut: Not a fan of fermented cabbage? No worries – you can swap it out for coleslaw or even pickled onions for a tangy, crunchy alternative that still brings that global culinary heritage to your plate.
- Onions: If you’re looking to make your Completo a little more gourmet, try caramelizing your onions for a sweet, savory twist. Alternatively, if raw onions are a bit too pungent for your taste buds, replace them with chopped scallions or even chives for a milder flavor.
Now that you’re armed with these tasty substitutions and alternatives, you can confidently embark on your Chilean Hotdog adventure, knowing that no matter what ingredients you have on hand, you’ll end up with a delicious Completo that will make your taste buds dance the cueca (that’s the national dance of Chile, for all you trivia buffs out there). ¡Buen provecho!
Storage & Reheating
Let’s face it – there’s a high probability that you’ll polish off all of these scrumptious Chilean Hotdogs (Completos) in one sitting. But if you somehow manage to resist gobbling them all down and end up with leftovers, don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with some handy storage and reheating tips that’ll keep your Completos tasting fresh and delicious.
For the uninitiated, the Completo is a culinary masterpiece hailing from the vibrant country of Chile. Featuring a delightful mashup of sauerkraut, tomatoes, onions, and a uniquely creamy avocado-mayonnaise blend, this hot dog is a true celebration of global culinary heritage. To ensure your Completos stay as vibrant as the Chilean streets they came from, follow these simple storage steps:
- Deconstruct those Completos! That’s right—separate the sausages from the buns and toppings. This will prevent your buns from getting soggy and help retain the crunch of the sauerkraut and onions.
- Store the sausages and buns in separate airtight containers. You’ll want to refrigerate the sausages, while the buns can be kept at room temperature for a day or two. If you need to store them longer, go ahead and refrigerate or freeze them.
- Keep your avocado-mayonnaise mixture, sauerkraut, diced tomatoes, and diced onions in separate containers as well, and refrigerate them. This will also help maintain their individual flavors and textures.
Now that you’ve expertly stored your leftovers, it’s time to reheat and enjoy those Completos all over again! Follow these simple steps for a delicious and authentic reheated Completo experience:
1. Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. While the oven is preheating, take out the sausages, buns, and toppings from their respective storage locations. Allow them to come to room temperature for a few minutes for optimal reheating results.
3. Wrap the hot dog buns in aluminum foil and place them in the oven for about 5 minutes, until they’re warm and slightly toasted.
4. Meanwhile, reheat the sausages in a stovetop pan or on a grill over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally, until they’re heated through and retain their sizzle.
5. Assemble your Completos just as you did the first time – spread the avocado-mayonnaise mixture inside each bun, place a sausage, and top with sauerkraut, tomatoes, and onions.
6. Revel in your reheating prowess and savor each bite of your tasty, revamped Completo!
Armed with these storage and reheating tips, you can now confidently enjoy your Chilean Hotdogs (Completos) whenever your heart desires – whether it’s for a second round of deliciousness, or to share the love with a newfound Completo enthusiast. Happy reheating!
Now that you’ve mastered the art of making the scrumptious Chilean Hotdog, aka Completo, let’s talk about some delightful and sometimes unconventional ways to serve these babies up! Remember, every great dish deserves a memorable presentation, so let’s get creative and make your guests say wow when they see your culinary masterpiece.
- The Picnic Basket: Embrace the South American flair, and throw a Chilean-themed picnic for your friends or family. Wrap each Completo in colorful wax paper or parchment paper, tying them with a cute ribbon or twine. Place the wrapped Completo in a wicker basket alongside some refreshing beverages, like a pitcher of fruity sangria or a frosty cooler of cold beer. Don’t forget a bright and lively checkered blanket for that perfect picnic ambiance!
- The DIY Completo Bar: This is an interactive and fun way to serve your Chilean Hotdogs. Set up a Completo station where your guests can customize their own hotdogs, selecting from various toppings like classic sauerkraut, diced tomatoes, and onions, as well as some fun and unique options like jalapenos, pickled cucumbers, and crispy French-fried onions. The sky’s the limit when it comes to topping creativity! Provide a few different types of buns like pretzel, brioche, or whole wheat, to cater to everyone’s tastes.
- Global Fusion: For a true celebration of global culinary heritage, serve your Completos alongside other delicious street foods from around the world. Think Mexican elote, Greek gyros, Vietnamese banh mi, or a hearty German bratwurst. This international feast will have your taste buds on a first-class trip around the world!
- Completo Sliders: If you’re hosting a party or just want a fun twist on the traditional Completo, try making mini versions using cocktail sausages and small slider buns. These bite-sized treats are perfect for appetizers or a tapas-style meal, and they’ll have your guests praising your culinary prowess!
- The Football Fanatic: If you’re hosting a game day party or gathering, serve up your Completos in a fun and sporty way. Arrange the hotdogs on a large platter in the shape of a football, with the avocado mixture, sauerkraut, tomatoes, and onions strategically placed as yard lines. Your friends will be cheering not only for their favorite team but also for your epic Completo presentation!
No matter how you serve up these delicious Chilean Hotdogs, remember that the most important ingredient is enjoying the process and sharing the experience with the people you care about. So, dig in, have fun, and let your culinary creativity shine!
Variations & Customization
The beauty of the Completo is its versatility! You can easily customize this Chilean Hotdog to your liking or accommodate various dietary restrictions. Let’s dive into some popular variations and modifications for every appetite.
- Vegan: Swap out the hot dog sausages for your favorite veggie or plant-based sausages! There are plenty of amazing options on the market, so you won’t feel left out. Replace the mayonnaise with vegan mayo, and you’ve got yourself a delicious, cruelty-free Completo.
- Gluten-Free: Make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free hot dog buns or, if you’re feeling adventurous, try making your own gluten-free buns from scratch. Be sure to choose gluten-free sausages too.
- GAPS/AIP: Replace the hot dog bun with a lettuce wrap for a grain-free option or use a GAPS/AIP-friendly bun recipe. Opt for homemade sauerkraut made without vinegar, and consider using a GAPS/AIP-approved mayo substitute, like a homemade avocado oil mayo.
- Keto: Ditch the carbs by swapping the hot dog bun for a lettuce wrap or a low-carb keto-friendly bun. Keep an eye on the carb count when choosing sausages, and make sure your sauerkraut and mayonnaise are sugar-free.
- Regional Twists: Explore the flavors of different regions by adding unique toppings! For instance, you could add some jalapeños or chipotle mayo for a Mexican touch, or go Greek with a dollop of tzatziki and a sprinkle of feta cheese.
- Toppings Galore: Why stop at the toppings listed in the recipe? Go wild with your Completo and add other favorites like pickled vegetables, bacon, cheese, or even pineapple for a sweet and savory twist.
Remember, the Completo is a canvas for your culinary creativity. Embrace your inner chef and create a customized Chilean Hotdog that satisfies your taste buds and dietary needs. Buen provecho!
Notes & Tips
- Bun Basics: While any hot dog bun will work for this recipe, we recommend using soft, yet sturdy buns that will hold up to the toppings without falling apart. Chileans often use marraqueta bread, which is similar to a French baguette but with a softer crust. If you’re feeling adventurous, try making homemade marraqueta for an authentic touch!
- Sausage Swap: Chilean completos traditionally use frankfurter-style sausages, but don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of sausages to suit your taste buds. Try a spicy chorizo, a smoked bratwurst or a veggie dog for a fun twist.
- Time-saving Tip: If you’re in a pinch for time, use store-bought guacamole instead of making the avocado mixture from scratch. Just be sure to mix in some mayonnaise to achieve that creamy consistency.
- Turn Up the Toppings: The beauty of the Completo is its versatility. Feel free to get creative with additional toppings such as pickled jalapeños, crushed potato chips, or even a drizzle of hot sauce for an extra kick. Remember, the sky’s the limit when it comes to customizing your Completo!
- Stellar Sauerkraut: For the sauerkraut, opt for a high-quality, fermented version to get that tangy, probiotic-packed punch. If you’re not a fan of sauerkraut, you can substitute it with finely shredded cabbage mixed with a splash of vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Grilling Greatness: Want to achieve those perfect grill marks on your sausages? Patience is key! Resist the urge to move the sausages around too much while they’re grilling. Give them time to develop that golden-brown crust before flipping them over.
- Make it a Meal: Complement your Completo with a side of crispy French fries or a refreshing Chilean tomato salad dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and cilantro. Pair with an ice-cold Chilean lager or a zesty pisco sour cocktail for the ultimate South American feast.
Now that you’re equipped with these handy tips, it’s time to embark on your culinary journey to Chile with this delicious Completo recipe. Happy grilling and buen provecho!
- Not mashing the avocado smoothly: A hallmark of the Chilean Completo is the creamy avocado and mayonnaise blend. If your avocado isn’t mashed smoothly, you’ll end up with chunky Completo, which is not the desired outcome. Channel your inner Chilean and take your time mashing the avocado until it’s velvety smooth. Remember, patience is a virtue!
- Overcooking the sausages: You want to achieve perfect grill marks and juicy sausages, not dry and chewy ones. Keep an eye on your sausages and don’t be afraid to turn them frequently. Overcooking not only affects the taste, but the texture as well. So, play it cool, and cook those sausages just right.
- Skimping on toppings: Chilean Hotdogs are all about the generous toppings, so don’t be shy! Slather on that avocado mixture, pile on the sauerkraut, and sprinkle those diced tomatoes and onions. Remember, a Completo without ample toppings is, well, incomplete. Embrace the flavors of Chile and load up your hotdogs!
- Using cold or soggy buns: A Completo is only as good as its foundation. Make sure to warm your hot dog buns for that slight toasty texture, which adds to the overall experience. This also helps prevent sogginess from the avocado mixture and sauerkraut. Don’t let a subpar bun bring down your Completo game.
- Over-seasoning: Chilean Hotdogs are a delightful balance of flavors, so don’t go overboard on the salt and pepper. While it’s important to season your avocado mixture, remember that the sauerkraut and sausages also bring their own flavors to the party. It’s all about balance, my culinary friend.
- Forgetting the global culinary heritage: While enjoying your delicious Completo, take a moment to appreciate its Chilean roots. Chilean Hotdogs are a celebration of flavors, colors, and cultures, and now you’re a part of that tradition. So, buen provecho and continue to explore the wonderful world of global cuisine!
Health Risks & Benefits
Get ready to embark on a global culinary adventure – Chilean style – with these scrumptious Completos! Not only are these hotdogs bursting with flavor, but they also offer some surprising health benefits. Plus, we’ll give you the lowdown on any potential risks, because we want you to stay informed and feel empowered in your culinary choices.
Let’s start with the star of the show: avocado. This creamy green fruit is packed with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and fiber. These powerhouse nutrients work together to help lower cholesterol levels, keep you feeling full, and even promote better digestion. So, go ahead and spread that avocado mayo with gusto!
Next up, sauerkraut. Did you know that fermented foods like sauerkraut are rich in gut-friendly probiotics? That’s right, these tiny microorganisms can help support a healthy digestive system and boost your immune function. Plus, sauerkraut contains vitamin C, which is essential for a strong immune system and skin health. It’s like a tasty vitamin for your hotdog!
The diced tomatoes bring a refreshing burst of flavor, along with vitamins A and C. These powerful antioxidants help protect your body from the damaging effects of free radicals and support a healthy immune system.
Now, let’s address the hot dog sausage. While processed meats like sausages have been associated with an increased risk of certain health concerns, moderation is key. Enjoying a Completo every once in a while as part of a balanced diet is totally fine. Plus, you can always opt for healthier sausage alternatives, such as turkey or veggie dogs, to minimize any potential risks.
In conclusion, these Chilean Hotdogs are not only a delicious celebration of global culinary heritage but also come with some surprising health benefits. So, gather your ingredients, fire up that grill, and enjoy a tasty Completo adventure!
Recipe History & Context
Ah, the Chilean Hotdog, or as it’s locally known, the Completo. This mouthwatering twist on the classic hotdog hails from the beautiful country of Chile, where it has been delighting taste buds for decades. The Completo is practically an institution in Chilean fast-food culture, with many Chileans claiming it as their favorite on-the-go meal. And it’s no wonder why – this hearty, flavorful hotdog is a true celebration of global culinary heritage, expertly combining ingredients from various parts of the world.
While the exact origins of the Chilean Hotdog are a bit murky, it’s believed to have been inspired by German immigrants who brought their love for sausages and sauerkraut to Chile in the early 20th century. Chilean chefs took this European staple and gave it a uniquely South American spin by adding some local flair, like creamy avocado and fresh tomatoes. The result? The birth of the now-iconic Completo, a tasty tribute to Chile’s diverse culinary influences.
Although Completo may look like a simple hotdog at first glance, there’s more to it than meets the eye. The key to this delightful dish lies in its harmonious blend of flavors and textures – from the smoky, grilled sausages to the tangy sauerkraut and the cool, creamy avocado-mayonnaise mixture. And let’s not forget the pièce de résistance – the generous topping of diced tomatoes and onions that provide a burst of freshness and crunch. This seemingly humble hotdog is truly a gastronomic masterpiece, showcasing the unmatched culinary creativity of Chilean chefs.
So, whether you’re an experienced home chef or a beginner just starting to explore the exciting world of global cuisine, the Chilean Hotdog is a must-try recipe to add to your repertoire. With its expertly crafted blend of flavors and its intriguing history, you’ll impress your taste buds and your dinner guests alike. So, fire up that grill, and prepare to be transported to the vibrant streets of Chile with every bite of this delectable Completo. Enjoy!
The key difference between a Completo and a regular hotdog lies in the toppings. While a traditional American hotdog might have ketchup, mustard, and relish, a Completo takes it up a notch with a unique combination of avocado mayo, sauerkraut, diced tomatoes, and onions. This South American twist not only enhances the flavor profile but also adds a delightful creaminess and tang to the dish, making it a true celebration of global culinary heritage.
Yes, you can use store-bought guacamole as a substitute, but we highly recommend making the avocado mayo mixture from scratch. Freshly mashed avocado mixed with mayo, salt, and pepper creates a more authentic and creamier taste that pairs perfectly with the sausages and other toppings. Plus, it’s super easy to make, and you’ll feel like a culinary whiz after mastering this simple yet delectable topping.
You can use any type of hot dog sausage that you prefer, but we recommend using high-quality, all-beef sausages for the best flavor and texture. If you want to experiment with different types of sausages, feel free to do so, as the Completo toppings are versatile and can complement a variety of sausage flavors. Don’t be afraid to let your culinary creativity run wild!
Absolutely! While the avocado mayo, sauerkraut, tomatoes, and onions are the traditional toppings for a Chilean Hotdog, feel free to personalize your Completo with other toppings that suit your taste buds. Some popular additions include mustard, ketchup, pickles, and even hot sauce for an extra kick. The Completo is all about satisfying your cravings, so go ahead and make it your own masterpiece.
If you find yourself with leftover Completo components, store each topping separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When it’s time to reassemble your hotdog, simply heat the sausages and buns, and then add the toppings as instructed in the recipe. You’ll be able to enjoy a delicious Chilean Hotdog whenever the craving strikes.
- Grill or stovetop pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Fork or potato masher
- 4 hot dog buns
- 4 hot dog sausages
- 1 large avocado peeled and pitted
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup sauerkraut drained
- ¼ cup diced onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill or stovetop pan to medium heat.
- Mash avocado in a mixing bowl. Add mayonnaise, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Grill sausages for 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Warm buns on grill or in oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Spread avocado mixture inside each bun.
- Place a sausage in each bun; top with sauerkraut, tomatoes, and onions.
- Serve immediately.