Smoked Candied Bacon Without A Smoker
Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Don’t have a big fancy smoker lying around or just running low on time? Here is a quick and easy recipe for how to make smoked candied bacon without using a smoker. The secret ingredient? Liquid smoke. This recipe really levels up the flavor of bacon with the extra sugar and smoke flavor. Eat responsibly, this “candy bacon” can be addicting.
- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- Combine the liquid smoke, brown, sugar, maple syrup and cayenne in a small bowl. Whisk well until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the bacon out in a single layer and brush both sides with the sugar mixture.
- Cook for 15 minutes then flip the bacon and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the bacon every 2-3 minutes to make sure the sugar doesn’t burn which will ruin the flavor. Keep in the oven until the bacon is browned and sugar is caramelized to your liking if it isn’t there yet.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 2-5 minutes and serve.
Notes & Tips
- You can store this in the refrigerator up to 3 days when covered tightly.
- This is easy to reheat in the microwave on wax paper or a nonstick plate so the sugar doesn’t get stuck. 5-10 seconds per slice is my general rule for bacon in the microwave.
- Swapping brown sugar for normal sugar and honey instead of maple are acceptable substitutions if you don’t have any on hand.
- You can’t replace the liquid smoke. However, if you don’t want the smoke taste, just skip it. And be careful with this stuff, a little goes a long way. Never pour liquid smoke with a heavy hand.
- Thick cut bacon is best for this recipe to adsorb the flavors and not cook too quickly.
Get Foodie Deals
We collect great foodie-focused deals from across the web daily. Get yourself or your favorite foodie a great deal at big name stores.