Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Sushi rolls are becoming popular among western society, and for a good reason, they are absolutely delicious! These Avocado sushi rolls definitely fit into this category, and they are super easy to make, requiring ingredients you can find easily. So, let us go through how you can make some great-tasting Avocado Sushi Rolls!
If you are a sushi fan but have dietary restrictions such as pregnancy or you are following a vegetarian diet, you may not be able to partake in sushi with your friends or family. Our Avocado Sushi Roll recipe will give you the feeling of eating sushi without the fish.
Avocado Sushi Rolls are great vegetarian sushi that even pregnant women can eat to get their sushi craving fixed when they need it! These sushi rolls do not skimp on flavor, and they are guaranteed to impress your guests.
This recipe is simple and easy to prepare. It also requires easy-to-find ingredients, so you do not need to go to specialty shops to make this sushi. So, let us get down to what you are here for, the recipe itself!
In this recipe, we offer a simple list of ingredients as well as an easy-to-follow, step-by-step method to making your very own Avocado Sushi Rolls. So, what are you waiting for?
- 2 cups short-grain white rice preferably Japonica
- 3- inch piece ginger peeled
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- Two tablespoons sugar plus one teaspoon
- Kosher salt
- Two mini cucumbers julienned (1 cup)
- Two carrots peeled and julienned (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- One avocado halved and thinly sliced
- One tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Six sheets toasted nori
- Soy sauce for serving
- Once you have all the ingredients out and ready, you can begin preparing the ingredients and making your delicious Avocado Sushi Rolls!
- First, rinse the rice using multiple changes of water. Ensure that you stir the rice around in the pot with your fingers to disturb the rice. Do this until the water runs clear. Place the rice in a sieve on top of a bowl to drain well while you continue preparing the rest of the ingredients. Leave the rice there for at least 20 minutes.
- Use a vegetable peeler or a mandoline if you have one to thinly slice the ginger along the grain of the ginger, trying to get paper-thin slices. You will need ½ a cup of thinly sliced ginger. Then bring a small pot filled with water to boil on your stove, and add the sliced ginger to the water, blanching it for only five seconds, and then drain it. Then return the same small pot to the stove and add the ¾ cup of vinegar with the two tablespoons of sugar with about two tablespoons of water to the pot. Slightly season the mixture in the pot with some salt.
- Now, bring the pot to a simmer while you stir the pot to ensure the sugar dissolves properly. Split the mixture from the pot into two separate portions, reserving one portion for later to season the rice, and leave the other portion in the pot. Add the blanched ginger to the mixture in the pot and allow it to cool completely.
- Place your rinsed rice into a small pot with 2 ½ cups of water with it. Bring your rice to a boil and then reduce the heat to your stove's lowest setting and cover the pot with its lid. Leave the rice to cook until it is tender and the rice has absorbed all the water in the pot; this should take about 12 minutes. (But if you own a rice cooker, you can use this to cook the rice according to the manufacturer's instructions.)
- Once the rice is cooked, remove it from the heat and let it sit with the pot's lid on for about 10 minutes or more if you need it to. When this time is up, transfer the cooked rice into a large bowl and allow it to cool there for a further five minutes. When the rice has cooled, fold one-quarter of the portion of the vinegar mixture you had saved with a wide spatula or even a plastic bench scraper. Fan the rice while you mix in the mixture to help it cool down completely for easier handling later. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel when the vinegar mixture is combined well with the rice. Ensure you reserve the rest of the vinegar mixture, as you will need this for the assembling of the sushi.
- This step is perfect to do while you are waiting for the rice to cook. Place the julienned carrots and cucumbers into a bowl and toss them with one teaspoon salt, one teaspoon sugar, ¼ cup of vinegar, and some sesame oil.
- Now comes the fun part of assembling the sushi rolls. First, place one nori sheet on a bamboo sushi rolling mat, with the shiny side of the nori down and the long side of the mat closest to you. Dampen your hands with the vinegar mixture you reserved from earlier, and then carefully press ¾ cup of cooked rice across the nori evenly; ensure you leave a ½ inch border on all sides of the nori. Gently spread about two teaspoons of mayonnaise across the middle of the rice.
- Once the mayo is spread, layer 1/3 cup of the carrot and cucumber mixture, and a few thin slices of avocado across the center of the rice, over the mayo. Sprinkle some sesame seeds over the avocado. Starting with the edge of the nori that is closest to you, use the sushi rolling mat to fold the bottom third of the nori to the center, evenly pressing across the roll to help compress the sushi filling. Repeat this with another turn and gently press down on the roll again.
- Remove the sushi rolling mat from the now rolled sushi. Dampen a sharp knife with the reserved vinegar mixture earlier, then cut the sushi roll into six equal slices. Repeat this process with the other nori sheets and filling.
- Serve the Avocado Sushi Rolls with the ginger you prepared and some soy sauce. Enjoy your sushi rolls!
Final Thoughts About Making Avocado Sushi Rolls
Avocado Sushi Rolls are easy to make, and they are made with ingredients that are easy to work with. These ingredients can be found at almost any local food shop, and they are not expensive. This is a simple recipe that you can easily make for a perfect treat on a weekday. Enjoy your freshly made Avocado Sushi Rolls!