Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
This warm and comforting veggie orzo soup is packed with umami flavours. It’s not only tastes great but is also very filling and satiating. The great thing about this soup is that it’s a one-pot dish which makes it a convenient weekday dinner. Let’s learn how to make this healthy and vegan-friendly soup.
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- 1 tomato chopped
- 70 g orzo pasta
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp dried mix Italian herbs
- 30 g spinach leaves
- In a pan, heat olive oil and saute onions and garlic until translucent. Add chopped carrots and celery and saute for around 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add tomato puree and cook it down on medium heat stirring in between.
- Add orzo pasta, dried herbs, black pepper and mix. Add the stock and cover. Let the orzo pasta cook until al dente.
- Add more stock if needed.
- Finally, add spinach leaves and chopped tomatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Notes & Tips
- Top with Parmesan cheese, croutons and basil leaves for an extra punch of flavor.
- You can also add other ingredients to this soup like zucchini, bell peppers or asparagus. To make it more hearty add chickpeas.
- Orzo and Risoni pasta are the exact same thing and both can be used in this dish. Any smaller shaped pasta would work great. As would farro or other ancient grains, however that cooking time would likely be longer.
- Orzo pasta needs less than 10 minutes to cook through completely. Don’t overcook it or it might become sticky or gummy.
- Keep extra vegetable stock to make the soup in a thinner consistency if desired.