These easy Adobo Chicken Tacos bring Filipino flavor to your table but with a twist. This recipe is usually eaten with rice and is perfect for your dinner and lunch. It is absolutely flavorful and tasty. The secret of this recipe is the garlic and cooking it in low heat for a long time. The chicharrons match the adobo tacos perfectly as the texture enhances the total flavor of the food.
For the Adobo:
- ½ cup oyster sauce
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 lb chicken thighs and legs
- 2 tbsp olive oil for searing
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
For the Tacos:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small head of bok choy chopped
- 4 corn tortilla wraps
- 60 grams of chicharrons crumbled, as toppings
- In a large bowl, place the oyster sauce, garlic, sriracha, sesame oil, black pepper, and chicken. Massage and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large saucepot and add olive oil. Sear the chicken until brown.
- Add the all the remaining adobo ingredients to the pot with chicken. Bring it to a boil. Once boiling, simmer it for 30 minutes. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Reserve the adobo sauce.
- Now, using to forks, pull the chicken and set aside.
- In another pan, add olive oil and sauté bok choy until just wilted for 1 minutes. Add the reserved adobo sauce and cook for further 1 minute.
- Assemble the tacos by adding pulled chicken into the warm tortilla. Top it with bok choy and chicharrons.
Notes & Tips
- If you freeze your wraps like I do to make them last longer, make sure to defrost the tortilla wraps so it will not break when you separate them from the other tortilla.
- The best way to cook adobo chicken is to cook it longer under low heat until the chicken meat detaches from its bones on its own. If you have time, make it a day out of this and throw some extra chicken in there.
- Best part and most flavorful part of the chicken is thighs and legs so it’s best to use those with the bone in. You can use boneless thighs to save time of course, but keep in mind the flavor trade off you are making.
- The longer you marinate the chicken, the better and more flavorful your dish will be.
Substitutions & Shortcuts
- You can replace tortilla with whole wheat tortilla if you like more fiber or even spinach wraps.
- You can change this to any protein, pork, beef or even something exotic like duck, ostrich or yak.
- You can make adobo chicken ahead of time or you can bulk prepare this and just freeze it in your freezer. This can last up to 3 months in freezer. Just reheat it and warm your tortilla a bit when you are ready to eat again.