This pasta dish is great for a slow food day where you take your time to enjoy life. It requires a good chunk of your time to make this from scratch. However, you don’t have to worry what ingredients or preservatives will be used because you made it with your own hands. There is no need for a pasta maker for this ravioli recipe. You can add any filling and sauce you like, so feel free to swap in your own sauces or filings as you’d like.
For the Ravioli:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the Filling:
- 6 little sausage links or any other filling of your choice
- 1 egg for the egg wash
- Using you baking mat or on your kitchen top, combine flour and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add eggs and olive oil all at once. Using your clean hands, mix them together until well combined.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes and form it into a large ball. Place it in the bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Now, get a small piece of the dough and flatten it using a rolling pin. Cut the dough into small squares using a pastry cutter.
- Place a teaspoon of filling of choice in the center of half of the square.
- Brush the edges of the square using egg wash and then top it with another square. Seal the edges using a fork.
- Once done with all the dough and filling. Boil a pot of water and once boiling, add salt and olive oil to the water.
- Drop the ravioli pastas and cook them for 2-3 minutes until they float on top of the water. Drain them and toss it with your desired sauce.
Notes & Tips
- It advisable that your filling has no moisture and is ideally totally dry. If the filling is full of moisture, it usually makes harder to seal the edges of the ravioli.
- You can add half to a teaspoon of filling depending on how big your ravioli is.
- You can also create round shapes of ravioli instead of square or use a cookie cutter for cutting the pasta.
- Make sure that the water is already hot before dropping the ravioli so that it will cook evenly and fast.
- Make sure the water is properly salted, you likely need more than you think and it should “taste like the ocean” if you have a little taste of it.
- This nutrition of this recipe can be improved by replacing the sausage with vegetables, leaner meats or vegan meat substitutes.