Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Milanesa de pollo, which is also known as chicken Milanese, is quick and simple to prepare. If you like crispy breaded chicken, you are going to love this. Traditionally an Italian dish, Milanesa de pollo is popular in Mexican restaurants these days.
You don’t have to use all the spices in the recipe. Just pick out which you want to add, to infuse the breading with south of the border flavors. Also feel free to add more of any spice you like. You can be heavy-handed with the chili powder if you like your Milanesa de pollo spicy.
- 2 thin-sliced skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup oil for frying
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- All ingredients ready? Let's begin!
- Cut each chicken breast in half and pound the pieces with the flat side of a meat tenderizer.
- Try to get each piece of chicken more or less even in thickness.
- Put the flour in one bowl, the eggs in another and the breadcrumbs in another.
- Beat the eggs, adding some salt and black pepper.
- Flavor the breadcrumbs with some/all of the suggested seasonings.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Next dip it in the egg mixture and let the excess drip off.
- Finally dip the chicken in the seasoned breadcrumbs, ensuring it’s well coated.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients until all the chicken is coated.
- Pour the oil into a skillet and heat it up.
- Pan-fry the chicken for 3 or 4 minutes per side or until done.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with your preferred side dishes.
Serving Ideas for Chicken Milanese
Try this hot, crispy chicken with French fries and a simple green salad, adding a spoonful or two of your favorite tomato salsa on the side. Sprinkle over some cilantro and add a lemon wedge on the side too perhaps.
- If you don’t have a meat tenderizer, you can flatten the chicken by striking it with a heavy skillet instead.
- Cook the chicken in batches rather than overcrowding the pan.
- Prefer to deep fry the chicken? It will only take 4 minutes to cook in a deep fat fryer.
- Prefer to bake it in the oven? The chicken will take about 15 minutes at 375 degrees F.
This authentic Milanesa de pollo recipe is super-simple to prepare and you can choose exactly how to season the breading to suit your palate. Paired with mashed potatoes and vegetables, this makes a hearty and satisfying meal.