Easy Lacto-Fermented Blueberries
Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Fermented fruit? It might not be the first thing that comes to mind to “pickle” but fermented fruits make a great base for sauces, dressings and to add surprise crunch and flavor to all sorts of dishes. The first time I made them (experimented, really), I expected them to be quite salty but the salt taste was mild and the berries surprisingly crunchy.
I’m using the lacto-fermentation process – a very easy way to ferment anything to get those gut health benefits. You don’t need a fancy vacuum sealer for this – and handheld pump will get the job done.
- Vacuum Sealer Bag
- Clean blueberries and weigh in grams. Multiply weight of blueberries by .03 to calculate how many grams of salt is needed.
- Place blueberries and salt in a vacuum sealable bag and shake well to distribute the salt. Carefully spread berries out then remove air and seal bag.
- Store at room temperature and allow the bag to become fully pressured/puffed up (3-10 days). At that point, they’re ready. Transfer to jar and refrigerate. Use within a month for best flavor (they become sourer with age).
- I’ve used a lower amount of salt for this recipe but you can try a bit less (.02 for the salt multiplier). Don’t go lower if you plan to store for a while since you’ll have a greater chance of spoilage.
- You can freeze the fermented berries for a few months keeping in mind that they’ll soften up a bit.
- Add some dried cocoa nibs or freeze-dried raspberries to the fermentation process to complement the final flavors of the blueberries.
- Puree the berries to make a tart and mildly salty sauce or add brown sugar or sweet, dried fruits like figs for a sweeter sauce.
- You can also create dressings by adding balsamic vinegar or mayonnaise – with or without sugar – that are great on a salad or as a dipping sauce.
Get Foodie Deals
We collect great foodie-focused deals from across the web daily. Get yourself or your favorite foodie a great deal at big name stores.