Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 to matoes peeled and small diced
- 3 long green pepper small diced
- 2 eggs whisked
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the green peppers and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cook until they become soft, and release their juices for about 12-13 minutes.
- Pour the whisked eggs into the skillet and scramble them into the tomato mixture.
- Stir in salt and pepper. Cook until the eggs are set, about 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with some crusty bread.
Tips, Notes, and Substitutes:
There are a few things to keep in mind when making Turkish menemen.
- It is essential to use good quality olive oil.
- It is best to use fresh tomatoes, although you can use canned tomatoes.
- It is vital to add the eggs last, just before serving.
- Menemen is best served hot, straight from the pan.
- You can use any type of tomato in menemen. However, combining different types of tomatoes will give the dish more flavor. If you want a fragrant flavor for your menemen, you can add the small diced onions with green peppers.
- For the eggs, you can use either whole eggs or just the yolks. If you are using whole eggs, you will need to whisk them before adding them to the pan. And if you are using just the yolks, you don’t need to whisk them before adding them to the pan.
- It is important not to overcook the menemen. The eggs should be cooked just until they are set.
- If you love spicy flavors in your meals, you can add more red pepper flakes to the dish.