Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
This hearty soup is perfect for a cold day. The rich, thick and creamy texture will keep you full of warmth for hours after eating this delightful soup. The best part is that it’s easy to cook all in one pot.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- ½ cup orzo pasta
- ½ onions diced
- ¾ cup Italian ham diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 7.5 oz fire-roasted tomatoes with juice
- 15 oz cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes optional
- Parmesan cheese optional
- Fresh basil optional
- Fresh parsley optional
- Assemble your ingredients.
- Heat a large saucepot. Once hot, add olive oil and melt the butter.
- Add orzo, onions, ham, and garlic. Fry for a 3 minutes.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients, except for salt and other optional ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat once boiling. Simmer for 20 minutes until the soup has thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add optional ingredients if you like.
Notes & Tips
- It is best to use nonstick sauce pot to avoid the orzo pasta from overcooking and making the soup taste burnt.
- You can add more stock or water if needed as the beans and pasta tend to absorb fluids quickly.
- Adding Parmesan cheese on top make the soup thicker and more flavorful.
- You can replace the chicken stock with bone broth for a more hearty version. Or vegetable broth for healthier version and lighter taste.
- No orzo? No problem, replace orzo with any other pasta or any noodles you’d like.
- You can add more vegetables for more flavor and fiber.