Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
If you’re looking for the ultimate raw plant-based lasagna salad recipe, look no further. This is by no means your traditional Italian lasagna, but a play on it following the art of layering fresh vegetables while highlighting an emerging trend of raw veganism (sorry Italians). Raw veganism is essentially a diet based on raw and unprocessed foods. While not all foods should be consumed raw, evidence shows that some foods retain more nutrients and enzymes as opposed to their cooked counterparts. Regardless, this lasagna alternative is fresh and hydrating and packed with all the right nutrients and flavor profiles.
A Mediterranean inspired simple, healthy, budget-friendly, and quick vegan lasagna salad is bound to impress all your guests regardless of their dietary restrictions. It is also gluten-free and has a flavor profile that complements a variety of entrees and additional side dishes. Feel free to interchange with your favorite vegetables, spreads, or sauces as this recipe can be very versatile.
The finished product results in a beautiful colorful layered dish that will satisfy the eyes and make you seem like a professional culinary artist. A perfect Instagram opportunity to show off your food photography and culinary skills.
- 1 Medium Zucchini
- 1 Medium Cucumber
- 2 Medium Beets
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 3 Cups Spinach
Olive Artichoke Tapenade:
- 1 Can Black Olives 6 oz
- 1 Jar Artichoke Hearts 14 oz
- Olive Oil 2 tbs
- Salt / Pepper to taste
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Balsamic
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tsp Agave or Honey
- 1 Minced Garlic Clove
- Salt/ Pepper to taste
- Slice Zucchini, Beets, Tomatoes and Cucumber into long thin strips, as this will serve as the “noodle” component of the lasagna. For faster prep time, use a mandolin slicer or a vegetable peeler. Make sure the longer ingredients fit in your pan and trim if needed. A perfect fit will mimic the "noodle" better.
- Mix together ingredients for Vinaigrette in a bowl to add later.
- Mince all the Olive Artichoke Tapenade ingredients and smash with fork or use a blender or food processor. Both methods works well and will provide similar flavors.
- Layer sliced vegetables in this order and repeat 2-3 times: 1st layer: Zucchini2nd layer: Spinach3rd layer: Beets4th layer: Cucumber5th layer: Olive tapenade
- Repeat 2-3 times until reach the top of baking pan.
- Garnish top of lasagna with thinly sliced tomatoes, beets, balsamic vinaigrette, and salt/pepper.
- Carefully slice into six pieces and make sure to use a spatula to hold the bottom. Plate each piece on top of a bed of spinach for ultimate presentation.
- Enjoy! This lasagna will leave you energized instead of in a food coma.
Sides and Compliments
Lasagna salad pairs nicely with:
Substitutions & Alternatives
Cover pyrex with lid or plastic wrap. This will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Lasagna salad is a raw plant-based version of lasagna that replaces noodles and cheese with fresh vegetables and greens. This light dish is essentially a salad in lasagna form packed with flavor and nutrients appropriate for all eaters.
cardiovascular diseases, according to Shayna Komar, a licensed and registered dietitian at Thomas F. Chapman Family Cancer Wellness at Piedmont. In addition, raw vegetables retain more enzymes, vitamins, and minerals compared to some cooked foods. When foods are overcooked, microwaved, or processed they lose their nutrients making them “empty calories”.
Have you ever had a raw lasagna salad? This is a unique and fun way to add fresh vegetables and greens into your diet. It also is a great way for prep your serving of vegetables for the week as it will last for 2-3 days with about 6 servings.