Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Cod is always good in fish recipes because it’s hearty, meaty, full of delicious flavor, and doesn’t take long to cook through. In this Greek style cod recipe, the fish is flavored with garlic and lemon along with cumin, paprika and coriander to bring out its unique taste.
This recipe can also be made using another firm-fleshed fish in place of the cod, such as halibut, red snapper or tilapia. Fresh or thawed fish will work here. Just make sure it’s patted dry on paper towels before you start the recipe.
Stick with fresh ingredients for the best results, including fresh not bottled lemon juice. It’s worth using a good olive oil too, since you will taste it in the finished dish. Greek extra-virgin olive oil is always good.
What Kind of Pan To Use
You will need an oven-proof pan for this recipe because after searing the cod on the stove you will add the remaining ingredients and then the whole thing goes in the oven. A cast iron pan or skillet is a good choice.
If you don’t have anything suitable, another option is to transfer the contents of the pan into a baking dish, but it’s easier if you use an oven-proof pan because that is quicker and saves on the washing up afterwards.
- 1 ½ pounds cod filet or cod loin filet
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- All ingredients ready? Let's begin!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the oil, lemon juice and melted butter in a bowl.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, and spices in another bowl.
- Dry the fish on paper towels.
- Dip it in the lemon mixture and then the flour mixture.
- Shake gently to remove excess flour.
- Next heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a cast iron pan or oven-safe skillet.
- When the oil starts to shimmer you can add the fish.
- Sear for 2 minutes on either side.
- Mix the garlic into the lemon sauce.
- Drizzle this over the fish.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the fish flakes in the center.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve right away.
- Greek style cod pairs well with rice, mashed potatoes or a classic Greek salad.
- Leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or up to a month in the freezer, although do bear in mind freezing Greek style cod can alter the texture of the fish, making it a bit mushy.
- Depending how thick it is, the fish might take less than 10 minutes to bake through, so check it after 7 or 8 minutes to see how it’s doing.
Greek style cod makes a delicious and unusual dinner. The flavors of lemon, garlic, paprika, and more flavor the fish beautifully.