Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Filete a la diabla (deviled filet) or filete de pescado a la diabla (deviled fish fillets) are also known as Mexican deviled fish.
Perhaps you’ve tried deviled chicken or even deviled shrimp before. The same spicy red sauce is just as delicious on fish filets.
Choose a firm, meaty white fish for this recipe. Sea bass, haddock, cod, tilapia, and mahi mahi are all possibilities. You can use frozen or fresh fish, depending on your preference and what is locally available where you are.
The recipe makes 4 servings and any leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. You can reheat filete a la diabla in a pan on the stove or in the microwave.
Different Types of Chilies in Mexican Deviled Fish
You will see the following filete a la diabla calls for 3 different types of chilies: chile de arbol, guajillo chilies and a chipotle chili pepper. Use dried chile de arbol peppers and guajillos. These should be available from any Mexican market.
Keep dried chilies in the freezer and they will last for a long time. The chipotle can be fresh or canned.
The reason multiple types of chilies are used is to add more depth to the overall taste of the dish. You can always omit one or two of the types of chili peppers if you can’t find them or you prefer others.
- 4 fish filets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 quartered tomatoes
- 3 chile de arbol peppers
- 4 guajillo chilies
- 1 chipotle chili pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ yellow onion
- 4 cups water
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- All ingredients ready? Let's begin!
- Cut the chile de arbol and guajillo peppers in half lengthwise.
- Discard the stems and seeds.
- Next put the chilies in a pot with the water and bring it to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and let the chilies soak in there for 5 minutes or until they’re soft.
- Discard the water.
- Put the chilies in a blender and also add the tomatoes, chipotle pepper, garlic, half the onion, and a tablespoon of salt.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Strain the sauce and set to one side.
- Now heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion for a minute.
- Add the diabla sauce then cook for another minute.
- Next add the fish filets and cook for about 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add an additional chile de arbol or chipotle for a spicier result.
- Add an extra tomato or add a tablespoon of ketchup for a less spicy result.
Filete a la diabla, or Mexican deviled fish, makes a delicious meal and is perfect for spicy food fans.