Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Lard Bread is very easy to make and very delicious. It’s also called Prosciutto bread, which is an Italian bread.
- 2 cups + 6 tbsp bread flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¾ tsp yeast
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 240 grams prosciutto diced
- 1 tbsp lard or melted butter
- Assemble your ingredients
- Ready your stand mixer and sift bread flour, sugar, yeast, black pepper, and salt.
- Pour the lukewarm water and mix in a low-medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Add prosciutto and mix using a wooden spoon or spatula instead of the mixer unless you want very small pieces of prosciutto.
- Shape the dough into a big ball and cover it with a tea towel. Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Roll the dough into an 18-inch log. Twist the dough and meet the two edges to form a ring. Cover again with a tea towel and let it sit for an hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450°F. Place a cake pan in the oven while preheating. Fill the cake pan with 1 cup of water and close the oven.
- Now, brush the dough with lard (or melted butter) and place it on a baking sheet. Bake it for 20 minutes. Rotate the bread and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and allow the bread to sit for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush again with butter.
- Let it cool before slicing.
Notes & Tips:
- No lard? No problem. Try some butter instead.