Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
Looking for another use of your spam can? This recipe can be eaten for lunch and dinner. You can also consume it as snacks or as an interesting appetizer for a party.
Spam Musubi is famous in Hawaii and you can find it in grocery stores or gas stations. This recipe is a complete meal and is very easy to make. And despite the less than stellar reputation spam has with some, this is a yummy combo of ingredients. The rice is perfect with spam and eggs and the salty taste of the the nori sheet or seaweed sheets bring it all together.
Let’s turn these ingredients into Spam & Egg Musubi!
- 1 cup Japanese rice raw
- ¾ tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 can of spam 340 grams, sliced
- 2 seaweed sheets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cook Japanese rice and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and teriyaki sauce.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs and add half of the teriyaki mixture.
- Over medium-low heat, heat a nonstick pan and grease it with oil. Spread the oil using paper towel. Then, add eggs, cover, and cook for 5 minutes or until the top of the egg is set. Slice the egg using the can of the Spam.
- Using the same pan, add the remaining teriyaki sauce and fry the spam slices. Cook for 5 minutes or until s little crispy.
- Using the spam can and cling wrap, assemble the spam musubi. Place the plastic inside the spam can and first add ½ inch of rice, then a slice of spam, slices of egg, and then rice again. Slowly remove the plastic from the can.
- Lay the seaweed sheet on a chopping board and wrap the rice-spam mixture with the seaweed sheet. Slice into desired thickness.
Notes & Tips
- Keep the rice warm so it will still be sticky and can be easily prepared using spam can.
- Serve it with mayonnaise or soy sauce as your dipping sauce.
- Make the thickness of the spam the same for all the slices and make sure you drain it after frying it.
- It is best to use musubi mold but if you don’t have one, you can use the spam can to mold your spam musubi.
- You can add slices of vegetables if you need to balance out the richness of the egg and spam or simply want some extra fiber.
- You can also add some sesame seeds on top for a little crunch and to elevate the look of it.
- You can use oyster sauce or plain soy sauce if you don’t have teriyaki sauce.