Important Note: When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Content, pricing, offers and availability are subject to change at any time - more info.
The Arayes is like what a quesadilla wanted to be when it grew up. It’s a mouthwatering combo of spices, meat and pita bread. It’s highly suggested that you add cheese as well. This is a hand-friendly food so it’s perfect for outdoor gatherings with your family and friends. And best of all it’s easy to make and doesn’t even take much time.
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 tsp Baharat or allspice
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 pita breads
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except pita bread and olive oil.
- Cut each pita bread in half and fill it with seasoned ground beef.
- Now, brush it with olive oil on both sides of the pita bread. Add cheese here if you are using it.
- Using a large pan, heat it over medium heat and fry the pita with ground beef filling. Cook it for 2-4 minutes on each side until the ground beef is cooked.
- Let cool for a minute and serve right away. Enjoy!
Notes & Tips
- Make sure you add just enough amount of ground beef so the meat will be fully cooked once the pita bread is fried.
- You can also bake a thin meat “brick” and slice it up into perfect sizes to add to the pita bread when you are frying it. Adjust the cooking time down per side if you do this or the meat will get over cooked.
- You can use whole wheat pita bread for more fiber or even a flour tortilla.
- You can add more spices or fresh herbs if you like for more flavor. I love using Allspice and black garlic powder.
- Best served with garlic sauce or Greek yogurt mixed with some finely chopped garlic & olive oil, especially if you don’t include cheese.
- If you are using frozen pita bread, let it defrost first before using as separating the pita breads from each other can be so sticky and will break the bread.